Fly Jamaica Airways welcomes our youngest guests. However, for the well-being, safety and comfort of infants please adhere to the following rules. All documents i.e. passports, visas, and any other documents required by the country to be visited should be valid for the infant. Infants, accompanied in the same cabin by a passenger 15 years of age or older, will be accepted for transportation. Persons entrusted with the care of infants and children must be capable of discharging this duty. Due to safety limitations only a specified number of infants can be accommodated on each aircraft type.
Fly Jamaica Airways will not accept infants within the first seven (7) days of birth for travel. Infants under two years of age on the date of travel require a payment receipt but do not require a seat. Only one infant under the age of two years may be held in the lap of an accompanying passenger 15 years of age or older. Due to safety restrictions, only a limited number of infants held in lap can be accepted on Fly Jamaica flights. Infants in lap are allowed 1 item of checked baggage. No single passenger shall be responsible for more than one infant whether the infant is held on the lap of an accompanying passenger or a seat has been purchased for the infant and the infant is secured in an approved child restraint system (car seat). An infant under two years of age at the time of departure but reaching his/her second birthday during the continuing/return flight(s) will require a seat and must pay the applicable fare for the continuing/return flight(s). Infants under two years of age occupying a seat must be properly secured in an approved child restraint device.
Fly Jamaica Airways offers a supervision service called the Unaccompanied Minor Service for all minors who have achieved the minimum age. This service is either mandatory or optional, depending upon the age of the minor. The UM service must be requested when the booking is being made. Parents and or guardians will be required to fill out a UM services form.
Minors under 5 years of age are not eligible to use the UM Service, and must always be accompanied by a person aged 15 or older when travelling. The accompanying passenger must occupy a seat in the same cabin as the minor. Minors from age 15 up to a maximum of 17 years of age can also use the UM Service at the request of their guardian. Please note, however, that if a guardian requests the UM Service for a minor between these ages, all travel restrictions applicable to the UM Service will apply.
The UM Service is available on non-stop flights or direct flights (flights making a stop with no change of aircraft).
Fares and Charges
Unaccompanied minors traveling on Fly Jamaica’s UM Service will be subject to the applicable adult fare. A charge of $100.00 USD/CAD for each minor (5-11 years), in each direction, will be applied for using the UM Service for all destinations. Unaccompanied minors 12-17 years old who travel as young persons will not pay the UM service charge. When two or more minors are traveling together on the same booking record, only one UM Service charge in each direction will apply to a maximum of 3 minors. The charge is non-refundable and is subject to applicable taxes.
Conditions of Application for Unaccompanied Travel
- Arrangements and registration for the UM Service must be made at least 48 hours prior to departure.
- The minor must be brought to the airport of departure by a guardian who remains with the minor until Fly Jamaica Airways starts providing supervision. The guardian will complete all the required documents which include providing the carrier with satisfactory evidence that the minor will be met by another parent, guardian or other responsible adult. The guardian who will be meeting the unaccompanied minor at the airport of arrival must have photo identification which will allow the carrier’s personnel to identify this person as the appropriate person designated to meet the minor.
- The guardian will be required to remain at the airport of departure until the aircraft has departed.
- In case of emergency, the guardian must provide Fly Jamaica Airways with the name and phone number of a person who can be contacted during the time the minor is in Fly Jamaica Airway’s care.
- Unaccompanied minors aged 5 through 14 years old will not be accepted if the flight on which the minor holds a reservation is expected to terminate short of, or bypass the minor’s destination.
- Once the minor is under the care of Fly Jamaica Airways, the minor will be provided supervision by the carrier until he/she is met at destination by a guardian who can confirm to carrier’s personnel by means of photo identification that they are the person(s) designated to meet the minor.
- Confirmed reservations must be booked for unaccompanied minors. Standby travel is not permitted.
- A minor with a medical condition or a minor with a disability may not be accepted for travel unaccompanied. Medical approval from Fly Jamaica’s medical officer may be required for any UM Service to be offered to a minor with a medical condition or a disability.
- Due to safety reasons, a limited number of unaccompanied minors can be accepted per flight and aircraft type.
Carrier’s Limited Responsibility
With the exception of the service specifically provided to an unaccompanied minor in this rule, the carrier will not assume any financial or guardianship responsibilities for the unaccompanied minor beyond those applicable to an adult passenger.