Fly Jamaica Airways offers a supervision service called the Unaccompanied Minor Service for all minors who have achieved the minimum age. This service is either mandatory or optional, depending upon the age of the minor.
The UM service must be requested when the booking is being made at least 48 hours prior to departure. Parents and or guardians will be required to fill out a UM services form and follow the guidelines of the carrier.
Minors under 5 years of age are not eligible to use the UM Service, and must always be accompanied by a person aged 15 or older when travelling. The accompanying passenger must occupy a seat in the same cabin as the minor. Unaccompanied minors who are 5 to under 15 years of age must use the UM SERVICE.
Minors between the age of 15 to under 18 years may use the UM service at the request of their guardian, and if using this service all travel restrictions will apply.
The UM Service is available on non-stop flights or direct flights (a direct flight makes a stop but there is no change of aircraft).
Unaccompanied Young Passengers (YP) 15 to under 18 years when travelling to the US cannot clear Immigration and Customs in the US, unless escorted by the carrier's personnel or representatives.
All children, 15 years of age or older (YP -Young Passenger), will be able to travel unaccompanied without supervision and will be considered to be adults for fare purposes.
YP Restrictions when Travel to the USA - YP's will not be allowed to clear Immigration/Customs unaccompanied, therefore will require escort on arrival. This service will not attract a fee unless the UM service is requested throughout the journey.
Fares and Charges
Unaccompanied minors travelling on Fly Jamaica Airway's UM Service will be subject to the applicable adult fare.
A charge of $100.00 USD/CAD per minor/young passenger, in each direction, will be applied for using the UM Service for all destinations. Minors aged 5 to under 15 years are required to use the UM Service and WILL BE assessed the UM charge.
Young passengers 15 to under 18 will be assessed the UM charge if the service is requested by their guardian for
their entire journey.
When one or more minors are travelling together on the same booking record to a maximum of two minors, only one UM Service charge in each direction will apply. The charge is non-refundable and is subject to applicable taxes.
Conditions of Application for Unaccompanied Travel
- Arrangements and registration for the UM Service must be made at least 48 hours prior to departure. Reservations Call Centre (18559335952 USA/CANADA, 592-222-0227 Guyana or 8766193595, 8766569832 Jamaica). All the necessary travel documents must be arranged and checked for validity, prior to making reservations.
- The minor must be brought to the airport of departure by a guardian who remains with the minor until Fly Jamaica Airways starts providing supervision. The guardian will complete all the required documents which include providing the carrier with satisfactory evidence that the minor will be met by another parent, guardian or other responsible adult. The handling advice for the unaccompanied minor must be signed by the parent or guardian at the airport. The guardian who will be meeting the unaccompanied minor at the airport of arrival must have photo identification which will allow the carrier’s personnel to identify this person as the appropriate person designated to meet the minor.
- The guardian will be required to remain at the airport of departure until the aircraft has departed.
- In case of emergency, the guardian must provide Fly Jamaica Airways with the name and phone number of a person who can be contacted during the time the minor is in Fly Jamaica Airway’s care.
- Unaccompanied minors aged 5 to under 15 years old will not be accepted if the flight on which the minor holds a reservation is expected to terminate short of, or bypass the minor’s destination.
- Once the minor is under the care of Fly Jamaica Airways, the minor will be provided supervision by the carrier until he/she is met at the destination by a guardian who can confirm to the carrier’s personnel or agents by means of photo identification that they are the person(s) designated to meet the minor.
- Confirmed reservations must be booked for unaccompanied minors. Standby travel is not permitted.
- A minor with a medical condition or a minor with a disability may not be accepted for travel if unaccompanied. Medical approval from Fly Jamaica’s medical officer may be required for any UM Service to be offered to a minor with a medical condition or a disability.
- Due to safety reasons, a limited number of unaccompanied minors can be accepted per flight and aircraft type.
- Young passengers (YP's) must be identified to the airline in order for arrangement s to be made to accompany the minor through US Immigration and Customs.
Carrier’s Limited Responsibility
With the exception of the service specifically provided to an unaccompanied minor, the carrier will not assume any financial or guardianship responsibilities for the unaccompanied minor beyond those applicable to an adult passenger.